Sunday, August 23, 2015

Life Changing Decisions

I can't believe this is actually happening.

This year on my 23rd birthday, I went in for a consultation for a procedure. Weight Loss Surgery. The last time I remember being 'normal' weight - I was probably 6 or 7. This has been something that I have struggled with my entire life.

I've always had this motto of - 'Well if I die of a heart attack then at least I died happy eating what I want, etc'. It wasn't until April of this year that I realized how important eating healthy and being a healthy weight was. My father was diagnosed with diabetes after his foot got infected and subsequently had to have a portion amputated and be out of work for almost 5 months. I think this was the wake-up call that I needed.

June 19th was my consultation. Unfortunately, my insurance has an exclusion for weight loss surgery. This means that I am now a self-pay patient. Now, I qualify for a special plan due to what they call a hiatal hernia. It took some time but I decided that this is the best path.

I went in for my sleep study, nutrition class, and stress test in July. First week of August I received the day that would change everything. September 14, 2015. I am scheduled to have Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy done on that day and it will change my life forever. I am both insanely scared and excited at the same time. VSG will essentially make my stomach about the size of a hot dog which will make my calorie intake about 600 calories for the first six months and I believe that I am supposed to lose around half of my body weight (I receive exact numbers this week when I go in for pre-op appointment).

I used to dream that I would be able to get this procedure done and now it is actually going to happen. 7 days until my liquid diet starts. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment